There’s nothing better than biting into a freshly baked sausage roll.The best part is that they are incredibly quick and easy to make. There’s no surprise why it’s known as one of the most popular snacks in South Africa (to find out what other foods make the list of best and most popular snacks check out my latest blog Top 10 Saffa Snacks .) Below you’ll find the recipe for sausage rolls and I promise you it will become a staple in your household.
- 2 rolls of Jimmy Dean’s rolls of ground sausage
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion, grated
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- Store bought puff pastry, thawed
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine ground sausage, breadcrumbs, grated onion, Worcestershire, and egg in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Using a rolling pin, slightly roll out dough and cut in half. Set aside.
- Form mixture into the form of a log (it should be long enough to fit the length of the longest side of the halved puff pastry)
- Place formed log on side of dough and roll in the form of a sausage until the dough covers the meat.
- Brush water lightly onto edge of the dough and seal together.
- Repeat until all of your ingredients are used.
- Place the rolls, sealed edges down, on a lined baking sheet.
- Using a knife, cut diagonal slits across to top to allow air to flow.
- Beat an egg and brush a thin over top of sausage rolls.
- Cut rolls in either small or long pieces, depending on occasion (larger pieces for lunch, smaller pieces for appetizers or snacks)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.